Thursday, August 13, 2015

2 - Now to Get Going

We returned from our trip in June and hit the ground running.  We prayed that if God wanted us to be there by August 10th, he would knock down the obstacles that were in our way.  First and foremost, the house (and attached mortgage!).  Our plan landed in Pittsburgh on a Tuesday.  We spent all day Wednesday and Thursday preparing the house - painting rooms, mulching gardens, de-cluttering closets - got photographs taken of the house on Friday and listed it on Saturday.  Our totally awesome realtor (call me if you need to buy or sell a house in that area, because she is the best!!) had an open house on Sunday.  And we accepted an offer on Tuesday.  A good offer.  

Now what to do with all of our stuff? You know the stuff that accumulates after 16 years of marriage and 3 kids.  And what about the stuff that we really didn't want to take with us?  My brother offered to drive up from TX and take back anything we really wanted to keep (my wedding dress, some Christmas ornaments, a box of the kids school & artwork and our photo albums).  And the rest had to fit in 10 large suitcases and 5 carry-ons.  So we had a garage sale, a BIG garage sale.  
Why do my kids have to make
crazy faces in every picture?!

It's difficult to go through your entire house and decide what you really need and want. But its a healthy exercise.  I gave each of my kids a box and told them they could keep anything they put in the box - no questions asked.  Not one of them filled up their box.  What we were doing was making a difference in their attitudes and actions.  And we hadn't even left yet.

We sold almost everything the first day of the garage sale and people were generous. I was touched to see so many of my friends and neighbors come out, pitch in, and tell us they were praying for us.  And once the stuff was gone, it was much easier. A friend of mine graciously adopted our 2 dogs and I hope to see pictures of happy furry babies on Facebook. We cleaned out all the leftover food in the fridge and pantry - my friends tell me its weird to "shop" at your friend's kitchen but it was a relief for them to take it.  Less stuff for the landfill and less trips I had to make down the stairs.  Then we cleaned the house and said goodbye.  

People have different reactions when they heard that we were leaving.  And most everyone had some crazy question that came into their mind.  "What about all your winter clothes?" "How will you drive there?" "What will you do with your couch?" and I can tell you that I had thousands of those thoughts.  Over and over again.  But every single time I tried to foresee a problem, God seemed to be there with an answer.  CarMax will buy your car.  An accountant with church is happy to give you free advice.  An attorney that's a friend of a friend would be happy to squeeze you in on short notice and draw up your wills and powers of attorney.  


And there's something else I noticed that I hadn't anticipated.  People I knew slightly and close friends. People that knew I was far from perfect said things that surprised me.  "I've always known missionaries growing up in the church but I never knew someone BEFORE they were a missionary."  "I would love to do that someday." "You're so brave." But that's the thing.  God doesn't call the perfect.  I'm not perfect and neither are you.  We never will be.  I'm not called to be perfect.  I'm called to do His will. And so are you.  Do I pray that my family can be that missionary family where the kids sit in the front row at church quietly and pay attention to the whole sermon? I'm a realist.  That's not my family.  We're loud and crazy and obnoxious.  And I want us to be loud and crazy and obnoxious for God!  I want everyone I know to be loud and crazy and obnoxious for God! 

So take a step in that direction.  Step out of your comfort zone and listen to that small voice in your heart telling you to do something for Him.  If you're not sure it's from Him, ask him to confirm it.  Then DO IT!  If it's from God, He will confirm it for you, somehow.  And maybe the next time He whispers to you, it'll be a little louder and a little clearer.  And you'll start to know His voice, in whatever manner He chooses to speak to you.



The Liberty Bell
Where are we now?  We're waiting again.  Our visas haven't been processed by the Dominican Republic Embassy. Am I stressed? Nah.  I've had plenty of friends offer for us to stay with them. [And I might need to take some of them up on that offer it it takes too much longer ;) ] It's out of my control and that's ok.  God's got this.  We'll go when it's time for us to go.  Maybe our house there isn't ready for us yet.  Maybe there's some unfinished business here that needs to be taken care of first.  Maybe I'll never know why we're delayed.  That's ok.  God's got this. In the meantime, we've taken a trip to Philly (to visit some friends that were with us on the February trip) and worked on our Feed My Starving Children MobilePack that is happening on August 22nd. We'll stay busy.

Our family at Washington's Crossing (the Delaware River)
So if you see me around town this week, say hi and tell me you're praying for me.  My family needs spiritual protection because I know Satan's not happy with us.  Spiritual warfare isn't something I spend a lot of time dwelling on but its in my prayers every day.  I know God's angels are fighting for us and everyone that prays adds ammunition to their weapons.  

And I'll be praying for you, too.  I'm praying for boldness and courage.  I'm praying that you take those steps that He is whispering to you.  I pray that you find comfort in reading your Bible the way I do.  And I pray that our stories can forever intertwine, brothers and sisters in Christ.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."                                                   Jeremiah 29:1
                                     


If you would like to support our ministry, you can do so at the link below.  Just select our names from the staff list (near the bottom).      Click to Donate

1 comment:

  1. "I want everyone I know to be loud and crazy and obnoxious for God!" Oh I'm so glad you're here. :)
    -Suzanne

    ReplyDelete