Sunday, August 23, 2015

3 - Intricate Provision

Well, a lot has happened in the last week.  So much has happened that I've been too busy to do much blogging.  But I know you're all curious about how things are going so I am sitting in the hotel hallway (above the office where there is sometimes Wi-Fi) and giving you a much-deserved update.

Last Friday we received our passports back with another denial letter for our Visas.  So we decided to get on a plane anyway and figure it out once we got there.  We left EARLY Saturday morning.  The flights were great and we arrived at the Punta Cana airport just after lunchtime.  Unfortunately, the van we had reserved wasn't available and we had to squeeze into a Ford Explorer.  11 gigantic suitcases, 5 roller carry-on suitcases, 5 backpacks, 1 guitar, 1 car seat and 5 Ethridges squeezed in - like we've lived here forever. (Bella said today, "In the US if you have 2 people on a motorcycle it is dangerous.  But here, if you have 3 people on a motorcycle there is still room for a couple more.")

The drive to San Pedro was an eye-opener for the girls.  They had a million questions and they didn't wait for answers before peppering us with more.   We had rented a GPS but she really knows nothing about San Pedro.  One of the main one-way streets in San Pedro is where our hotel was and she thought it ran one-way the other way.  Which, by the way, is okay to do if you're a motorcycle.  But not a car.  The people on the street kindly waved their fingers at us and told us where to turn.  We eventually found the hotel and the owner just happened to be there that day.  He lived in New Jersey for a few years and spoke English - extremely hospitable, even told us a few places where we could eat in the city. After unloading all of our luggage, we found our way over to the big store in town (similar to super Wal-Mart but with less selection and higher prices) and explored. We somehow found our way over to our new friends' house and they fed us.  They had also lined up a few houses for us to look at the next day!

Sunday morning, we got up and found our way to church.  Worship in Spanish, sermon in Spanish (though they provided us each a headset with a translator!), and some much-needed rain.  Then we had a delicious meal of fried chicken with another missionary family.  That afternoon, we looked at a few houses and contacted Liony (our bestest Santo Domingo friend!).  He had arranged for us to have a much cheaper rental car for the first two weeks. And he even delivered it to us!

Monday, I went to my first day of school.  And boy did I feel unprepared!  I had to register my 3 girls, too, which actually took a few hours.  And get all the school info.  There's a lot!  And look at the curriculum for the 3 classes I'll be teaching.  And I had no clue what my students' English skills and capabilities will be.  So writing my very first lesson plan feels a lot like jumping blind into a swimming pool and not knowing if it is full of water, jello, mud, lava, rocks, or scorpions. That might be an exaggeration.  But I'm usually a decently prepared person.  Not that I don't fly by the seat of my pants fairly often.  Any procrastinator will tell you that their best work comes at the last minute.  I also got to see my classroom and meet a few of the teachers. Oh, and Open House would be at 4:30 the next day.  While I was at school, Scottie had the girls and looked at another house - which he tells me is awesome and I'm going to love.  He also went with another friend and got our cell phones hooked up.  Big bonus!  That night, we drove to La Romana to see another friend and eat dinner at La Crema.  They had some muy delicioso desserts! 

So Tuesday had arrived and we were making great progress toward settling in. We had signed a lease and put a deposit down on a house! I went into school again while Scottie took the girls shopping for uniforms (2 kinds of pants, socks, black shoes, belts). There's another new teacher there and she happened to mention that she was excited for the first day of school tomorrow. WHAT?! I thought school didn't start until the 24th!  Nope.  They'll be in your classroom tomorrow at 7:45am. 

At this point, I started to feel fear.  Real fear.  There was no way I'd be ready in time!  So I did what I do when I'm afraid and I prayed.  I sat in that empty classroom and prayed for peace and provision.  And that's when God said, "I have been providing for you, Carli. Look back at the last few days.  The flights were good, no problems with the luggage or customs. The car was cheaper and easier than you expected.  The hotel owner spoke English.  You haven't gotten lost a single time in San Pedro.  I've directed your steps and surrounded you with people that are willing and able to help. I've been with you every step of the way. So calm down. You have what you need and you'll be fine."

Now I'm not gonna lie and say that the next 3 days were easy.  But I really am fine.  I've had the privilege of getting to know the 35 6th graders that I'll teach this year.  And I've had time to eat dinner with my family and braid my daughter's hair.  Lexie will tell you that we've been too busy.  On Friday, I finally had enough energy to fight her into the shower and afterward, she proudly exclaimed, "that's my first shower in the Dominican Republic!"  7 days.  It had been 7 days since she had showered.  And we all survived.  I even have my lesson plans written for next week and some copies ready to hand out. 

And I am starting to see how God has provided for us in such intricate ways.  So many little things and in so many little ways.  Things have just worked out.  And there are so many people that are generous with their time, information, translation skills, you name it.  So I'm confident that as we continue on this journey, God will lead us the way that we should go. 

So here are a few things that I have noticed. 
1) When all the TV stations are in Spanish and your kids have nothing to do, you can put Tom and Jerry on.
2) I don't think Dominicans like personal space.  They need to be close to each other and you.  Even if there is a whole ocean to swim in, that 12 year old will splash and kick right next to you, no matter how many times you move. 
3) Staring is socially acceptable, no matter how uncomfortable you might appear. 
4) Americans do not know how to wait patiently.  Dominicans are expert waiters.
5) The electric company here is just like the DMV, only less friendly.
6) If your car (or motorcycle) fits you can go there. Or park there.
7) Traffic laws seem to be nonexistent but there are plenty of law enforcement officers all over. I'm hopeful that they're there to enforce the really important laws.
8) There is no DP in the DR. <sad face>

4 comments:

  1. =) nice to hear from you. sounds like you are fitting in just fine. prayers for a smooth transition. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I can hear Lexie saying that, too!!
    First shower in the DR and it had been 7 days...ROTFLMBO!! Love it!
    Miss you all a ton!
    Sorry to hear no DP. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It sounds like you are having a great time! I am so happy for you and your family. You are right where God wants you to be. I look forward to hearing more about your grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Jeff Kemp from San Antonio!

    ReplyDelete